Friday, December 31, 2010

Things to Aim for in 2011

Training:
1) I want to reach that theoretical 100 kg bench. And since I already can and have deadlifted 140 kg for a single, I'm now aiming for at least 180 estimated 1RM. Since I'm not training to compete, I'll stick with the basic Jim Wendler 5/3/1 "2 a week" template without focusing on singles; as long as the estimated 1RM reaches the goals, I'm happy. I've already recovered from the temporary hiatus from training due to starting housemanship and training at full speed (considering the circumstances). Here's where I'm at now, with the estimated 1RM and previous best (right before starting housemanship):
Deadlift - 123 kg x 9 (159 kg, best 166)
Bench - 68 kg x 10 (90 kg, best 94)
Squat - 117 kg x 5 (136 kg, best 140)
Press - 52 kg x 6 (62 kg, best 63)

2) Keep the weight down, without the expense of losing strength. This is a bit difficult as I'm training 2/week. If I've more time, I'll do more resistance-type of cardio. Dietary restriction will only be secondary. As long as I'm not bloated up I'm happy. But...

3) Being heavy inhibits my pullups. I want to get stronger at pullups again. Currently I'm training my back in every lifting session. But that won't do much if my weight remains at 90. Last session, I could only 2 7 sets of 2. Pitiful. But hey, that's at a BMI of what, 34?

Career:
I want to further set my sights on the path that suits me. In general, this is how I am as a doctor:
1) I hate history taking
2) I don't hate examinations
3) I love difficult procedures, and am relatively good at them. I always get "referrals" from colleagues for difficult lines, difficult ABG's or blood taking. I'll do those over boring reviews. If you can memorize your cases, and monitor them well enough, writing everything down again and again with small changes is dead boring.
4) I love resuscitations, making sense of investigations results stat, and tense moments.

So far the 2 career paths I'm keen for are surgery and anesthesiology/critical care. Mr Zainal (HOD) has already said (via MO's I know) that I'd be welcome back once I finish my housemanship. Prof Faisal (UPM) has also said that I'd have his full support to enter UPM as a trainee lecturer in surgery. But I want to taste the anaesth posting first if I can.

Another issue is whether I want to stay in KL/return to IIUM Kuantan. My first choice would be Kuantan; but since my wife has a good career development path by staying in HKL, the obvious choice would be to stay within the Klang Valley.

Exams? I'm seriously considering to take the MRCS part 1 this year, and maybe even the MRCP part 1 even thought I hate medical; after all, a strong medical background is needed regardless of your clinical specialty later on.

Life:
Aim for a nice balance between training/work/family/personal stuff. Duh? I still want to read my comics, and I wonder if Rhye will produce a Rhye's and Fall of Civilization version for Civ V...

I know that resuming life as a Wesnoth online player is more or less impossible. But watching the developments as a silent_obs (hint to the MP community) is fun, especially as regards to the tremendous art development going on.

When my late father asked me to enter boarding school, I initially refused on the grounds that I don't want to become a robot living with a fixed schedule. As a doctor, I refuse to be limited by my long hours.

2 comments:

Rosie said...

I've gottchaa ankayy! :D
Aka silent! But I never knew but now I know. Ze things shall change accordingly. :D

hehehehe
~Cookieeeee

ANAKAYUB said...

NOOOOOOOO!!!

:p

Wish I've time to continue Wesnoth.. I shall lurk silently.

anakayub aka silent_obs