Sunday, November 29, 2009

Thoughts, Training Log Up to Nov 28, 2009 (with video)

Thoughts:
1) Abah is doing well. His diagnosis has been changed from migraine paralysis to mild stroke. Edema was noted at the left region of the brain only on the second CT (at readmission), consistent with right hemiparesis. He's now at home, and can now walk at adequate strength but with some persistent tingling, is smiling again, and has an excellent chance of recovery provided he's diligent with the physical therapy. He was told by the neurologist that it was due to his chronic diabetes (microangiopathic I guess).

I'm still wondering if it's migraine stroke, as he still has headache at home as of now, although the neurological deficit has stabilized. We're planning to have the MRI/MRA at a private center as the queue for the MRI at HUKM is at 1 month, earliest.

2) I probably shouldn't question the knowledge of a professor in neurology, but I'm still wondering as to why he's been prescribed sumatriptan at a high dosage despite having his diagnosis as mild stroke, not migraine stroke. This is added with the fact that sumatriptan is contraindicated even in migraine paralysis, much less TIA/mild stroke. My worry has led me to withhold Abah from the sumatriptan even though he still has a headache, for now we're relieving him with PCM and Ponstan. So far, it's working enough.

The whole ordeal with Abah has reminded me of one thing. Those who have not entered family medicine will learn it, those who have passed it must not forget it: never ever forget to tell your patients the plan when discharged. Patients must know when to come back.

3) I've been very slow in learning psychiatry; too slow in fact. And still with no case for the write-up. I should be worried.

4) I've been rethinking the times when friends asked me whether I would be able to maintain my work on fitness when I become a houseman. Then, I answered, "I'll just go on maintenance to keep what I've achieved". What I should have added was, "If we're not going to start because we're afraid of having to stop in the future, we might as well stop living. It's rare that we get to do something from our youth all the way until our death. Probably 99% of things in life has a start and a stop. Just do it."

5) I've uploaded part 1 of the Raya Haji BBQ at my house, is uploading part 2, and will probably upload part 3 tomorrow. Not for the easily offended; you have been forewarned, hehehe. It's the last before I become a houseman, the last before Naufal gets married, and probably none will be organized next year as the Aussies won't be here and unsure of whether Hamzah will be back too.

Training:
Training went well, except for 1 thing: deadlifts, Penlay rows, and front squats+military presses on back-to-back-to-back days have annihilated my back, especially considering the "max" nature of last week. I'm currently having back spasms whenever I stand still. The last time this happened was during my basketball days (think the defensive position with poor posturing). Luckily next week is deload, and I'll get plenty of rest. Results:

Deadlift - 117 kg x 7 (11 kg PR from 5 weeks ago)
Bench Press - 71 kg x 7 (3 kg PR from last week)
Front Squat - 81 kg x 8 (+1 rep, 4 kg PR from last week)
Military Press - 44 kg x 7 (5 kg PR from 5 weeks ago)

All in all, very good. After the deload I'll shift to a 3-day per week schedule, so that deloading would fall right on break after exams. I have also bought a lifting belt for use with my top sets, I think I have earned the right to use one, considering that I'll be deadlifting 120 kg's for reps; when I started with 5/3/1 120 kg was my max.

As regards to the log,
Friday - Pistols (3 x 7), Paused pushups (3 x 12), Front plank with salutes (3 x 12)

I can't get enough of this video. Have a happy week people!

No comments: