Sunday, January 17, 2010

Thoughts, Training Log Up to Jan 17, 2010

I'm typing this while Shahril drives the car...(Racing) Thoughts:

1) I'm just exhausted, and not even the 1 week break after psychiatry posting has been enough. So many things to do and think about, so little time, and even less cash. I'm weary of driving almost every week, arriving late at night/early morning. With fatigue from the gym, the tiredness is felt in the form of soreness. With mental fatigue/sleep deprivation the tiredness is felt in a sense of never having enough sleep, and an inability to think. It's worse. And it's really bad when not even caffeine can help you stay awake during the normal hours.

2) Abah got warded again, with possible Broca involvement; nevertheless the doc's said that there are no new lesions. The problem with his condition is that his symptoms fluctuate; one moment he's fine, another and he feels "blank" and can't speak, with right shoulder weakness (compared with predominantly lower limb involvement last time). He looks depressed at the times when he can't articulate complex things. He can still say simple sentences slowly when he enters "relapse". During brief "remission" periods, he's the same as premorbidly.

3) When you're a medical student, the fact that you can't look at the case notes is distressing. Appreciate the opportunity when you could look at it. At least I could ask for the figures in the investigations from the kind nurses at Wad Warga HUKM.

4) Due to the fact that Umi is caring for Abah, there's no one to take care of the younger siblings. Umi just asked my future wife to help out, bringing Sarah to school for at least the next 2 days, and might even have to sleep over at the house in Bangi. Talk about "kahwin sebelum nikah" ("married before solemnization"). At least she'll be able to use the car instead of the motorcycle.

5) Being the first son and grandchild (on my mother's side) to hopefully get married means that the "lavishness" of the plans is out of proportion to um, me. If it was up to me, I'd be wearing my old Camel shoes, without socks of course. I'm a simple man. And the hantaran would be books of course, my preference being historical non-fiction.

6) A rational discussion will beat rhetoric every time, but it will never win the votes.

Training:
My wrist feels good, Abe is stronger than ever, and Coax can actually paint his house without shoulder pain!

I'll still be using alternative exercises in place while I transition my training to that before I injured my wrists.

Monday - Good mornings, up to 60 kg x 8
Tuesday - Standing DB presses, up to 30 lb x 16
Thursday - Combined 2 sessions, in view of having to go back during the weekend. Squats up to 63 kg x 12, pushups up to bodyweight + 45 lb (plate) x 12. Had a hypoglycemic event afterwards.

Since my wrist is getting better, I'll start empty bar work so that I can hope to lift much heavier weights next month.

No comments: