Monday, January 11, 2010

Thoughts Up to Jan 11, 2010

1) Had an interesting run-in with the IMC guards. It was 11.50 pm, and they initially didn't notice me entering to send my future sister-in-law to her hostel. They did stop me when leaving. So they asked in an "intimidating" way what I was doing, then where was I going, and who am I. I answered, but not before I took off my glasses to get a good look at him, and removed my new earphones as I couldn't hear him. He then "scolded" me while tapping on my windshield that I didn't update my sticker, for which I had an interesting answer: I rarely enter IMC, so I didn't feel like buying the new sticker. The guards were even communicating with other guards via their walkie-talkie about me, and of course checked out my car (I'm a pimp and drug dealer (caffeine), they have to). I had to explain that I was a final year medical student. Of course they let me go, but it left the impression that Kuantan guards are becoming like the PJ guards. You know, the asshole type. A complete opposite of the guards taking care of the boys' hostel, with whom you can more than just chat.

As a guard, you're supposed to be on the more cautious side of things, but that was a bit on the too much. Or maybe I'm just not fond of being held up (type A personality).

2) The new Shure SE115 earphones I bought are pure heaven (to use with my mom's iPod Shuffle (she's tech-illiterate :p)). The output is just pristine. And the sound isolation...Well, don't complain about the quality of my singing, coz I won't hear you. I could barely hear the car engine, and I couldn't hear the water splashing while washing my hands. I can't even hear the sound of the keyboard while typing. With the music off.*

*You're not supposed to wear these kind of stuff while driving. It's done at my own risk. But useful to irritate irritable guards.

3) Ya know, most people should shut their mouths when talking about stuff they don't know. It's better to be portrayed as ignorant than portrayed as wrong and stupid. Yes, I'm talking about the God != Allah issue. It also applies to the man at Megamall that openly complained that obligatory prayers can't be done with an imam who's doing the supplemental prayers.

4) Regarding issue (3), it's a manifestation of Malay culture's obsessiveness with extravagance, care for "looks", and too such occupation with sentiment rather than substance. We care too much about the eggshell yet never care about the yolk. The cover is more important than the book. Too much attention to the minutia rather than looking at the big picture. Additionally, hey if something's wrong, make it more beautiful, more expensive! Let's cover up the really important stuff! It's not an issue, but hey, let's make it one so that [insert whatever motivation you need other than the needed motives here].

5) My wrists are much better. There's only pain at end ROM supination/pronation. I can finally do a normal (instead of fisted) pushups again, but I still can't sujud with normal hand position (still have to do them fisted), as the push angle still causes pain. I haven't tested tension strength; but I can handle at least 20 kg of weight without pain during the last cycle. However, coach Selkow and I have agreed to continue the altered training regime for another cycle while transitioning to the previous regime. It's better to go slow than rush these kinds of injuries. All I did to achieve good this good amount of improvement: nothing, as I was too lazy at home. Probably gained an inch of gut circumference too. But the physical and mental break was more than worth it.

6) Hmph, tomorrow IM starts. No mood. I haven't finished reading all of the military books I wanted to read. Currently reading "Crusader Castles in the Holy Land". Architecture students might like it.

No comments: