Thursday, December 31, 2009

Thoughts, Training Log (up to Dec 31, 2009)

Thoughts:
1) My long case was a big "joke". My patient became unstable from physical and mental health aspects (it's a bipolar manic patient) at the 20 minute mark, and it took 20 minutes to know that I couldn't continue clerking him. I decided not to clerk another patient as I've already gotten what I need for the diagnosis and discussion. Dr Hajee said it best, "When you are working, do you need 20 minutes to make a diagnosis?"

2) Throughout the posting, I never wrote any clerking notes during the interview, and I only presented "one" case (more of a summary than anything) from memory. And I think I did pretty well during the exam. Practicing the hard way makes the normal way easier.

3) My wrists feel better. Most activities of daily living are back to normal, as long as I don't do the "painful" stuff. I still tremble after a training session from fatigue. You wouldn't tell that I'm injured unless if I accidentally lean on my hand, followed up by a scream of pain. As long as there's no supination/pronation/extreme flexion/extension (basically any form of torque)/tension more than 20 kg each hand, I'm perfectly fine.

4) If you're a waiter at a restaurant, you have no f*cking business going to the mirror every 2 minutes to check on your stupid hair. No matter what, you are not an Indonesian pop rock singer (the guy) or a runway model (the girl). F*cking idiots, go and serve your hungry customers! (Rasamas, Kuantan Parade)

Training:
Lots of replacement stuff. Out with most of the barbell stuff, and in with the dumbbells. There'll be a bench session today. But previously..

Low bar back squats yesterday - Last week I did high bar squats after the injury, and felt fine. The low bar position actually felt fine despite of the bar being supported by my delts and wrists instead of my traps. 78 kg x 8 (could do more, but the bar began to lean to the side and I got the reps I wanted). My lower back is sore today.

DB Bench Press - No pain, all I need is a handoff to prevent any torque on the wrists (which causes severe pain). 8 x 50 lb (the heaviest they have here). I'm aiming to do 9 reps today. Followed up with weighted fist pushups (neutral wrist, remember?).

Good Mornings - Did 8 reps with 60 kg in a high bar position. Followed up with 3 sets of 10 of natural glute-ham-raises. My hamstrings did not thank me.

DB Shoulder Press - No pain, as long as I had a handoff to hold the DB's. Did 12 (or 14, can't remember) with the 35 lb's.

I think the only thing that will regress is my grip strength. Everything else will either remain steady or will actually increase (my squats). A good way to end psychiatry.

No comments: