Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Stuff on My Google Reader

I borrowed my mother's credit card for a few ringgit well spent on installing Reeder (a Google Reader client for the iPhone); the worth of it is 100 times more than the amount paid. With Google Reader, I'm able to subscribe to tons of news feeds, and scan them all in rapid time: what I need to read I can open up and expand, what I think it's not worthwhile I'll just ignore and mark all of them as read altogether. In 1 day I receive up to at least 200 entries of news. The only skill you need is fast reading. And using Reeder on the iPhone is a delightful experience, just as using Google Reader on the computer (ask Jusnimar/Nu'aim, both whom regularly use my (Abah's in actual fact) iPhone for news browsing).

Lemme just share with you what I subscribe to; maybe you might be interested in at least a few subscriptions. The only thing unavailable are my Sinfest and Girls Without Slingshot comics, as they don't provide RSS feeds (another prerequisite).

Google yourself folks these feeds, as some are subdivided into sections, making linking inconvenient in a way.

News:
The Economist - This periodical (with many blogs as well) divides its news into many sections, and I subscribe to most of them. English debaters, especially those familiar with the Asians, British Parliamentary style debates must be familiar with this staple source of information. Some stuff might be too heavy (as I found out as well) for normal every day people.
NYT (Global Home) - World news of various topics. Subscribing to this makes subscription to any other "World" news sources redundant.
The Star Online - The best mainstream English Malaysian paper.
The Malaysian Insider - An interesting online English Malaysian news-site. I read this most for it's opinions, as news items in the Star may be identical.

Apple (I used to read eWeek and PCMag but no longer) & Tech:
Daring Fireball - The mainstream Apple news analysis with commentary.
Mac Rumors - It is what it is.
Macworld - Interesting articles from time to time.
The Macalope - Mythical creature with dark humor regarding the industry.

Sports:
ESPN.com (golf, tennis, NBA, Soccernet) - Whether it's Wood's comeback attempt or Chelsea's possible meltdown in London for the last game, where else should you go?

Health, Fitness, Strength Sports including Powerlifting:
Alwyn Cosgrove - He doesn't blog much about fitness, but his insight into life is enlightening. A two-time cancer (leukemia) survivor.
Amped Training - Of Matt Perryman. Politically incorrect, and hence likable.
Bill Hartman - A physical therapist, co-owner of one of the top 10 gyms in America. Read for his knowledge on rehab.
Bret Contreras - An up-and-coming, using EMG to study and refute many myths of exercise.
EliteFTS - THE site for powerlifters, and has articles for strength coaches, bodybuilders and health enthusiasts. A bit ironic considering powerlifters are known to be fat, that's how we squat and bench well! I have my online coaching for my pullups from Harry Selkow, among the Q&A staff on the site, hence my Youtube videos.
Mike Boyle's Blog - Old-timer, functional strength & conditioning coach. Pretty controversial.
Mike Reinold - A physical therapist. Very scientific.
Robertson Training Systems - of Mike Robertson, co-owner of iFAST with Hartman. A corrective strength coach with a background in powerlifting.
The Fitcast - The premier contemporary S&C podcast, hosted by Kevin Larrabee
Tony Gentilcore - One of the coaches at Cressey Performance. A funny blog. Beautiful babes too. While I'm at it, I should mention that I subscribe to Eric Cressey's newsletters (via email).

Comics:
Brenda Starr - Dramatic reporter.
ButternutSquash - Irony.
Ctrl+Alt+Del - Gamer comics.
Diesel Sweeties - Pixel humor.
Dinosaur Comics - High level comics for the intelligent in you.
Flipside - A lesbian jester fighter with her swordswoman lover. NSFW!
Girl Genius - Steampunk
Indexed - Math has never been this funny.
Kukuburi - Fantasy
Least I Could Do - Comics for perverts. NSFW?
Looking for Group - Traveller elf and "friends".
Mystic Revolution - Gamer comics
xkcd - Geek comics.

No comments: